Here are the instructions to configure a wireless (belkin).
Most of the instructions were found in the reference  but I got some issues with the wicd-curses installation, for which there is a solution later in this post.
First, follow these commands:
- Exit XBMC. (bottom button)
- Log into the terminal by typing your username and password for the media center user.
- Type sudo apt-get update
- Type sudo apt-get install wicd-curses
Here, I got some errors related to dbus. Here is the relevant part of the error message:
insserv: Service dbus has to be enabled to start service wicd
insserv: exiting now!
dpkg: error processing wicd (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
I was able to fix this error by typing:
sudo update-rc.d -f dbus defaults
Type sudo reboot
After reboot exit XBMC again.
Log into the terminal by typing your username and password for the media center user.
Type sudo wicd-curses
You may get this error message after the last command:
[sudo] password for xbmc:
Can't connect to the daemon, trying to start it automatically...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1022, in <module>
File "/usr/share/wicd/curses/wicd-curses.py", line 1014, in setup_dbus
dbus_ifaces = dbusmanager.get_dbus_ifaces()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 36, in get_dbus_ifaces
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 62, in get_dbus_ifaces
if not self._dbus_ifaces: connect_to_dbus()
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 48, in connect_to_dbus
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/wicd/dbusmanager.py", line 79, in connect_to_dbus
proxy_obj = self._bus.get_object("org.wicd.daemon", '/org/wicd/daemon')
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
'su', (bus_name, flags)))
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in call_blocking
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.wicd.daemon was not provided by any .service files
You can fix it by playing with the services:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
sudo service wicd start
Then, sudo /etc/init.d/wicd restart
Now try again to start the wicd-curses interface and configure the wireless network. The interface is not brilliant but you should be able to figure out how to navigate within it.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight the wireless network you want to connect to and press the right cursor key to configure it.
- Scroll down and check ‘Automatically connect to this network’.
- Scroll down to the bottom and enter the wireless key. Press enter to select different protocol (WPA, WPE, …)
- Press F10 to save. You should be back at the list of networks with your network highlighted.
- Press shift and C to connect to the network.
- Wait a while and check the status in the bottom left corner. Once it works, press q to quit.
- Type sudo reboot